Colonial Heights fire crews responded to calls for 2 different house fires over the weekend. One being rules accidental and the other was caused by a cigarette. Two people were displaced from their home.
According to Deputy Fire Marshal Lt. J.E. Boisseau, the Colonial Heights Fire and EMS, along with Chesterfield units, responded to the 400 block of Cameron Avenue for a reported house fire on Saturday night, 9:30 p.m. The occupants were home and reported a fire in the basement.
Fort Lee Fire Dept. responded to the fire to assist. When crews arrived, Boisseau said they found smoke throughout the house. The fire was in the basement being controlled by a broken water pipe. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and the fire was marked under control in 20 minutes.
Both occupants were displaced. One occupant was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.
An initial investigation could not locate a heat source, but indication is that the fire is accidental. Boisseau said the estimated damage is about $1,000.
Then on Sunday morning, just before 6 a.m., Colonial Heights Fire and EMS, along with Chesterfield units, responded to the 300 block of Virginia Avenue, for a reported house fire.
When fire crews arrived, Boisseau said they found a two story single family residence with smoke and fire showing. Crews received a report of a male victim still inside. He was quickly located on the second floor and removed. He was transported to the hospital in serious condition. The second victim was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Boisseau said additional fire and EMS units from Petersburg and Fort Lee were called to the scene to assist. The fire was under control in about 30 minutes. Red Cross was contacted to assist the occupants.