The complete list of the products that have been recalled by Sabra were made in its Chesterfield County plant,
Multiple products have been recalled due to a possible listeria contamination in the factory.
Mark Schairbaum, who lives in Richmond and likes to buy local, so he typically picks Sabra over other brands.
“I got Sabra hummus right here,” Schairbaum said as he showed us the hummus in his fridge.
He buys hummus because his newborn baby has a dairy allergy, and hummus is one of the snacks recommended while his wife breastfeeds.
“Whatever Katie eats the baby eats,” Schairbaum said.
A spokesperson for Sabra said listeria was discovered inside the Chesterfield plant, but has not been found in any products that were sold.
WTVR CBS 6 reporter Melissa Hipolit showed Schairbaum the recall list, and found out his container is one of the ones recalled.
“It’s a little late, we’re almost done,” Schairbaum said while pointing out that the container was almost empty.
Doctor Eric Freeman, a pediatrician with Old Dominion Pediatrics, said listeria can be particularly problematic for very young children.
“It’s one of the most common bacteria that we can see that can cause blood born infections in children, meningitis and another issues,” Dr. Freeman said.
He said nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are common signs of listeria infection, which are symptoms Schairbaum said he will be watching out for.
“I still think this is a good company, we’ll just wait it out and see when it’s ok to start buying it again,” Schairbaum said.
From the FDA's website:
On October 31, the FDA began an inspection of Sabra Dipping Company LLC’s manufacturing facility in Chesterfield County.
Nine environmental samples collected in food processing areas within the facility were positive for Listeria monocytogenes. On November 18, the FDA informed Sabra that an additional 18 environmental samples collected near food handling equipment were confirmed positive for Listeriamonocytogenes.
One of the strains of Listeria monocytogenes found during the recent inspection matches a strain found in a retail product sample collected in 2015, indicating this strain of Listeria monocytogenes may be persistent in the production environment.
The FDA discussed the findings with Sabra including steps taken by Sabra since the inspection. On November 18, 2016, Sabra Dipping Company LLC initiated a voluntary recall of certain hummus products with a “Best Before” date on or before January 23, 2017, urging consumers to throw the product away. The products were distributed to retail outlets, including food service accounts and supermarkets, in the U.S. and Canada.
Complete List of Recalled Products
- 040822014700 - 300051 - Sabra Hummus Caramelized Onion 10oz
- 040822000017 - 300066 - Sabra Hummus Classic 7oz
- 040822011143 - 300067 - Sabra Hummus Classic 10oz
- 040822017497 - 300070 - Sabra Hummus Classic 17oz
- 040822014687 - 300074 - Sabra Hummus Classic 30oz
- 040822431156 - 300076 - Sabra Hummus Classic 5lb – 6ct
- 040822011112 - 300079 - Sabra Hummus Classic 2oz – 48ct: 3 x (16 x 2oz)
- 040822011952 - 300080 - Sabra Hummus Classic with pretzels 4.56oz
- 040822011235 - 300094 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 7oz
- 040822011242 - 300095 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 10oz
- 040822017510 - 300097 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 17oz
- 040822012256 - 300099 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 32oz
- 040822301121 - 300100 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 30oz
- 040822011990 - 300104 - Sabra Hummus Garlic with pretzels 4.56oz
- 040822011921 - 300106 - Sabra Hummus Jalapeno 10oz
- 040822011341 - 300117 - Sabra Hummus Olive 10oz
- 040822011747 - 300132 - Sabra Hummus Pine Nut 10oz
- 040822127530 - 300134 - Sabra Hummus Pine Nut 7oz
- 040822990011 - 300136 - Sabra Hummus Pine Nut 17oz
- 040822012157 - 300139 - Sabra Hummus Pine Nut 32oz
- 040822012430 - 300142 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 7oz
- 040822011549 - 300143 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 10oz
- 040822017503 - 300146 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 17oz
- 040822328647 - 300148 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 32oz
- 040822301114 - 300150 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 30oz
- 040822434553 - 300151 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 5lb – 6ct
- 040822011969 - 300153 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper with pretzels 4.56oz
- 040822011433 - 300158 - Sabra Hummus Supremely Spicy 7oz
- 040822011440 - 300159 - Sabra Hummus Supremely Spicy 10oz
- 40822017558 - 300161 - Sabra Hummus Supremely Spicy 17oz
- 040822027540 - 300164 - Sabra Hummus Spinach & Artichoke 10oz
- 040822014731 - 300166 - Sabra Hummus Sun Dried Tomato 10oz
- 040822027700 - 300266 - Sabra Hummus Spinach & Artichoke 32oz
- 040822027588 - 300298 - Sabra Hummus Spinach & Artichoke 17oz
- 040822990011 - 300501 - Sabra Hummus Pine Nut 17oz – 6ct
- 040822017503 - 300502 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 17oz – 6ct
- 040822020114 - 300593 - Sabra Hummus Basil-Pesto 10oz
- 040822330466 - 300736 - Sabra Hummus Tuscan Herb Garden 32oz
- 040822342049 - 301216 - Sabra Hummus Classic 32oz
- 040822342131 - 301271 - Sabra Hummus Classic with pretzels 4.56oz – 8ct
- 040822342209 - 301283 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 23.5oz
- 040822017497 - 301290 - Sabra Hummus Classic 17oz
- 040822342506 - 301430 - Sabra Hummus Bold & Spicy with tortilla chips 4.56oz
- 040822017510 - 301480 - Sabra Hummus Garlic 17oz – 6ct
- 040822342728 - 301481 - Sabra Hummus Classic 2oz – 6 x 2oz (12 x 6pks)
- 040822011648 - 301483 - Sabra Hummus Lemon 10oz
- 040822342735 - 301484 - Sabra Hummus Red Pepper 2oz – 6 x 2oz (12 x 6pks)
- 040822330381 - 301485 - Sabra Hummus Tuscan Herb Garden 17oz
- 040822010078 - 301511 - Sabra Hummus Classic 2oz – 16 x 2oz – 12 ct
- 040822010047 - 301512 - Sabra Hummus Classic 2oz – 12 x 2oz – 12 ct
- 040822342988 - 301566 - Sabra Hummus SF Rosemary/Sea Salt 10oz
- 040822343145 - 301585 - Sabra Spreads Spicy Chili 8.5oz – 8ct
- 040822343138 - 301586 - Sabra Spreads Garlic Herb 8.5oz – 8ct
- 040822343121 - 301587 - Sabra Spreads Honey Mustard 8.5oz – 8ct
- 040822343114 - 301588 - Sabra Spreads Salt & Pepper 8.5oz – 8ct
- 040822343671 - 301640 - Sabra Hummus Taco 10oz
- 040822344043 - 301705 - Sabra Hummus 3 Pepper Chili 10oz
Sabra products not included in the recall are Sabra Organic Hummus, Sabra Salsa, Sabra Guacamole and Sabra Greek Yogurt Dips.
First Reported By Melissa Hipolit