The Philadelphia Eagles held their second day of mandatory minicamp practice on Wednesday. The session was open to media and I was there to observe it all. Remember that these are still non-contact drills at this point. Players aren’t allowed to wear pads yet. There’s only so much to be gleaned from players running around in shorts, so take these observations for what they’re worth. Here are my practice notes.
• Attendance update: Everyone was at the facility except Nick Foles and Ryan Mathews. Foles missed practice again due to the expected birth of his child. Prior to practice, Doug Pederson said Mathews has been excused from practice while he rehabs from his neck injury. The Eagles are expected to cut Mathews at any point now.
• Injury update: Jordan Matthews is still out with knee tendinitis. Fletcher Cox left practice early with a neck strain. Dorial Green-Beckham missed practice with a foot injury. Ron Brooks and Joe Walker still aren’t doing team drills but they’re getting some individual work in.
• Really encouraging performance from Carson Wentz. The second-year quarterback hasn’t lit the world on fire this spring. On Wednesday, Wentz easily turned in his best practice of the offseason so far.
Wentz just looked sharp out there. The accuracy issues that have been plaguing him were still present, but much less often than before.
Two of the quarterback’s most impressive passes came on deep throws to Nelson Agholor. The much-maligned wide receiver burned Rasul Douglas on his first touchdown catch. The ball was right on the money. Same thing for Wentz’s second touchdown pass to Agholor with Jalen Millstrailing in coverage.
Wentz completed quite a few passes to Zach Ertz along the sideline in tight coverage. Wentz tends to sail these throws at time but they were very accurate today. Wentz also hit Torrey Smith for a big gain at one point.
Wentz had a few bad passes that stood out. One was a duck thrown down the field intended for Smith but knocked down by Aaron Grymes. Wentz also threw a pick on a play where it looked like he wasn’t on the same page with Smith. It looked like the wide receiver may have broken off his route early. Or Wentz overthrew him. Or both.
Overall, though, a good day for Wentz.
• Jordan Hicks did a nice job of sticking with LeGarrette Blount on a rep where Wentz scrambled and tried to throw to the running back along the sideline. Wentz tried to float the pass to Blount but Hicks jumped up and tipped it out of bounds. Hicks is pretty good in coverage.
• Daily practice note: Shelton Gibson struggled to catch the ball in individual drills. He did make some tough catches during the team setting, however. With Mitchell White bearing down on the ball for a potential pick-six, Gibson made a tough catch in traffic. So kind of like the opposite of Malcolm Butler’s goal line interception on Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl.
• Caleb Sturgis was 10 for 10 in field goal attempts. He’s not facing any competition this year but good to see he’s kicking well.
• Tryout players Tulsa quarterback Dane Evans and Villanova linebacker Austin Calitro practiced again on Wednesday.
• Speaking of tryout players, the man (Rashaun Sligh) camped outside of the NovaCare Complex is getting an opportunity with the Philadelphia Soul.
• Check out video from Eagles practice via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below)